Wednesday, June 24, 2009

June 24, 2009 "Dear Mr. President"

Dear Mr. President Obama,
Yesterday, I watched from start to finish, your televised address. As I watched and listened to what you had to say, I had a notebook and pen at my side. I was taking notes on what you were addressing, and jotting my own thoughts as you went along. As out of the ordinary that may sound, it is something that I believe Americans should be doing. No matter how we voted in November last year, you are indeed our current President, (as you reminded us several times during your address). Although I did not vote for you, I am not the type of person who sits around and watches what will happen next. I do not sit around complaining about the status quo without feeling compelled to offer some sort of solution or take steps that may lead to a possible solution. The American spirit and the American Dream were not founded on inaction. Therefore, I hope more and more Americans sit with pad and pencil at their side each time you address us, so that they can take their notes and rebuttal more effectively.
Now, let's get to the specifics of yesterday.
You talked about the status of Iran, condemning the violence. However, even when asked blatantly what it it would take for you to feel the need to have America step in, you, Sir, side-stepped the questions. But, that is not what I wanted to discuss today.
You talked in most detail about the government stepping in with a Health Care plan. You spoke of the Market Place. You did an excellent job of explaining the ideals behind it. You explained that Americans who are either uninsured or under-insured, would have this "Market Place" of different Health Insurance plans, varying in type of coverage, extent of coverage, cost of coverage, etc. Of these plans, there would be a government funded plan for people to choose from. Of course, the immediate questions were related to the fact that this could threaten the Private Health Insurance Industry. Your remark was that if the current private companies are as cost-conscious and consumer-minded as they claim, then they should remain a competitive choice in the Market Place that Americans would choose.
There is so much to say with what is wrong with this idea. I will start by saying that the government can obviously buy in greater bulk and possess in greater quantities what it needs to be the most affordable Health Care Plan in the Market Place. When Americans are looking at their choices, it will come down to the bottom line of cost. Purposely or not, the American government will put the Private Health Insurance Industry out of business. It is not only short-sighted for you to think otherwise, but also unAmerican. Why unAmerican? Because this nation was founded on the American Dream, the dream to excel. It was not the dream to stifle and suffocate.
Secondly, as unfair as it sounds, not all Americans will ever be universally covered for Health Care. It is not how our economy works, that is, if we are going to remain a capitalistic, free market society. There should not be an equality in bank accounts across the board. The government should not be telling doctors and medical services how much to charge for their goods and services. The government has no right to do this. All those in the medical field should be irate with your idea. They should come together and fight you on this tooth and nail. For those who are under-insured, (as I am as a Multiple Sclerosis patient), we have to be more resourceful. You know the saying, "When there is a will, there is a way". In these situations, it is necessary to rely on our neighbors, as individuals and as entities. As citizens of this great nation, we must rise to the occasion and educate ourselves on resources that exist. And for those who have, we should be rising to the occasion by being active participants in our society. That means being able to recognize when we possess enough, when our wallets are full enough. If we are blessed enough to do so, we should have the moral standard to help those who are truly in need. On a basic level this would mean donating to local food pantries. On a magnified level, donating to charitable causes and sponsoring charitable efforts. If, "in God we trust", then we should not come knocking on the doors of the White House with our palms up. Rather, we should have our hands out to lift another up.
Focusing back on the idea of all Americans having health insurance, I think you are missing the point. You are searching for ways to give health insurance to all. Instead of handing out ears of corn, you should be handing out the seeds to plant. In that I mean, that if the economy were put back on track, then prosperity in this nation would grow again. With increased prosperity, people can afford, themselves, to cover their medical costs.
Please, Mr. President, listen with open ears and without bias. There is a better way to meet the needs of the American people. You may be thinking that my suggestion, "fix the economy and then all other things will follow" is easier said than done, and easy to be said by someone who does not sit behind the desk in the Oval Office. Well, that is not necessarily true. You have protections around you that my family does not. I possibly have much more at risk than you do, Sir. And I do have ideas on how to significantly better the economy. I cannot take credit for these ideas, however. You see, I listen to people of all sides of the arguments so that I can be better educated and less biased. With that, the true voice of the American people can be heard. I will gladly share these ideas with you in short time, however, it will have to be at another time from now. You see, I am a mother of three children all six years and younger. My motivation is my family and my faith. Everything I say and do should reflect that. And right now, my 16 month old needs me, so I will say farewell for this moment.
Please explore the idea of abandoning a government health care plan. Instead, give the people the foundations to take care of theme selves. The government was not formed with the premise that it needs to hold the hands of the American people through every step of life. Let us be accountable for ourselves. Let the governement be accountable for itself.
Sincerely,
Michelle M. Birkenstock
http://www.parentsrpeople.com/, search "HudsonValleyAuthor"
http://www.authoredbymichelle.blogspot.com/
authoredbymichelle@verizon.net
6f73b9a05463700089f8616d6a9e07d8

1 comment:

  1. Emailed to me from D.S., with an opinion that I value. David, hope you do not mind me posting your email as a comment! Although I thought I was being as constructive as possible, while not losing the urgency of the message, I will make further attempts to be le creme! Thank you! xoxo, Michelle
    DEAR MICHELLE:
    I DON'T KNOW IF YOU WANT ME TO RESPOND TO YOUR BEST EFFORTS OR NOT. YOU KNOW I LOVE YA LIKE MY OWN. AND WITH THAT SAID I OFFER MY SERVICES WITH THE UNDERSTANDING YOU REALLY UNDERSTAND THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN BEING CRITICAL AND OFFERING A CRITIQUE. I COULD CARE LESS WHICH SIDE YOU LINE UP WITH. THAT IS UP TO YOU AND YOU ALONE. I AM THINKING ABOUT PRESENTATION OF YOUR IDEAS TO A SITTING PRESIDENT WHO RECEIVES IN EXCESS OF TWO MILLION EMAILS A DAY. LIKE CREAM, THE PROBLEM IS HOW TO RISE TO THE TOP OF THE BOTTLE. YOU WANT SOMEONE TO READ YOUR MESSAGE AND LIKE WHAT HE/SHE HAS READ AND PASS YOUR MESSAGE UP THE FOOD CHAIN. HOW TO DO THIS IS WHAT INTERESTS ME. HOW ABOUT YOU? UP FOR THAT? LET ME KNOW. MUCH LOVE FOR A TRES JOLIE MADAME. DAVID

    ReplyDelete