Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Jan. 24, 2009 "Dear Mr. President"

In January, 2009, I began a personal campaign to have my voice heard by the White House. The letter below was my first letter to the President. It was sent directly to President Obama and to several newspapers around the country. I am about to send another letter off and wanted to give my new blog readers some back ground on this by posting this letter. I always welcome comments!

Dear Mr. President,
Today I have made a promise. This promise is to myself, to my children and to my Lord. It is a promise of diligence and enduring conviction.I begin by asking you to be a man of your word. Your very first words as President of these great United States of America told us that you were standing before all humble, grateful and mindful. I ask of you, even plead with you, to remain that way. Be humble enough to hear the voice of each one of us. Be grateful enough that we love this country enough to speak up. Be mindful enough to realize that there is a value to what we say.Mr. President, today I write to you with a heavy heart. As with all forty four Presidents, the first one hundred days in office are watched with microscopic vision. These first one hundred days blazes the path for not only the coming four years, but for our history in the making.Signing the order reversing abortion-funds policy is a grave error that will act as a pebble in the proverbial pond. To begin with, looking at the economic emergency that this nation is currently in, it is shocking that you would find such urgency to spend money that has been saved by having the ban in place. Secondly, favor would be won with more of your citizens to see their own hard earned tax paying dollars remain domestic rather than spending globally. We need to help ourselves before we help others. Lifting this ban is expecting a cripple to carry not only himself, but also his neighbor. Finally, you did not ask us, your constituents, how we felt about this. A a a nation who proclaims freedoms associated with religion, your action suffocates me. It is against every fiber of my being to assist in activities that are pro-abortion. You are stealing my money and using it ways in which you do not have my permission. You are not even taking this in careful enough stride to allocate these funds for the education of choice and leaving it there. Instead, you are willing to use my money to have a doctor snuff life out. You spoke out against the slaughtering of the innocents in your Inaugural Speech. Do you not realize that this is the slaughtering of the innocent by signing the reverse order? Instead, could you not allocate funds to the security of the nations where men go freely about their way after having just raped a thirteen year old girl? Or to promote safe sex alternatives even, yes, abstinence in lesser educated communities? Do you really feel this was entirely necessary? I think you do realize that there are alternatives. That is why you signed this behind closed doors, without fanfare, almost in humiliation and regret.You spoke of prudent use of power in your first minutes as President. Well, Mr. President, I do not see your use of power here as being prudent at all.Sincerely,Michelle M. Birkenstock

No comments:

Post a Comment