Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Harry The Caterpillar makes First Appearances


Later this week will mark one month of my first children;s book being out, Harry The Caterpillar. What an amazing experience it has already been in such a short time!

The release came as a bit of a surprise to me. I was informed by a HARRY Fan on Facebook, that she had purchased the book. At that point, I did not even know that the release had come on March 2, 2010!

I was quick to spread the word as much as I could, using the Internet as my most valuable tool. I sent out messages on Facebook and traditional emails with my press release as an attachment. Kristen Hamel Mc-Evoy from the Sentinel newspaper based out of New Windsor, NY, interviewed me. The article ran just three weeks after the book was released.

Although, my publicist has done a great job reaching out to literally over a thousand contacts with my press release, I realize the importance of meeting people in person.

With extra copies of the press release in hand, I began to make my rounds to local contacts, introducing myself and refreshing their memory from Ellen's initial contact. Much to my surprise, the Barnes & Noble at the Route 300, Newburgh Town Center location, was just as eager to connect with me, as I was with them!

Ms. Billie Cubic, the Community Relations Manager at the Barnes & Noble location, welcomed me to join a "Local Author's Night" that was happened later that week. I could not refuse! I would have never have thought that I would be featured at Barnes & Noble so quickly! I promptly went back to the Internet to help spread the word of this event that was being booked on short notice. NY Family Examiner, Carrie Schlagler, ran a detailed article on the upcoming appearance on Examiner.com, greatly helping the effort.

The day before the event, Ms. Cubic called me. She told me that she was getting floods of phone calls, people asking if they can get their copy of Harry The Caterpillar at Thursday night's event. She continued to say that people were coming in with print outs of my press release, (the attachment I included in my email of the book being released), asking the same! She was amazed at the response from the community. In a way, I was not as shocked. I know that I am blessed to be connected with a multitude of people, friends, family, relations from my children's schools, our Church, past employment and so much more, who are continually supportive, proactive and passionate.

On Thursday, March 25, 2010, Ana Lia Schiariti Croci, (the marvelous illustrator to HARRY), and I, spent the afternoon at Newburgh Enlarged City School District's Fostertown School. I read the book to the kindergarten classes there, followed by Ana Lia and I answering questions, and finally, signing books the little ones had purchased. What a great reception we had by Fostertown School, and we thank them for that! In fact, we are returning to the school in April, to do the same for the second graders there.

the evening was followed up with the Barnes & Noble event. Although, the event was to start at 5pm, I was eager, showing up 45 minutes early, to find that some people were already there waiting for me! Ms. Cubic offered an abundance of hospitality, welcoming me and situating me. By 6:30pm, there were no more copies of HARRY to be had! Although, I felt terrible for the sad faces on the little ones who could not walk out with a signed copy in hand, readers were able to order their copy at the front desk. Ana Lia was able to attend the signing with me. We stayed the duration until 9pm, thankful for the opportunity to meet our readers and sign previously purchased copies.

Since Harry The Caterpillar was "born", the experience has been nothing less than a blessing to me. I have learned beyond my previous skill, encounter a multitude of fabulous supporters and have been publicized by people with sincere interest.

More "happenings" have taken place and even more are on the calendar! Stay connected to know the latest!


You can purchase your own copy of Harry The Caterpillar at



No comments:

Post a Comment